Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Good To Be Home Again

I love going on our annual Mother-Daughter shopping trips to the States.

But I also love getting home again...

This year we took a six day jaunt to Fargo, Moorhead, Maple Grove, Buffalo and finally Minneapolis. On our way we hit three Antique Malls, a whole slew of Antique shops in numerous towns, the Mall of America (natch), the Minneapolis Zoo and discovered some new restaurants to nosh at.

We both found some fantastic deals on wonderful treasures to bring home to Canada. Good thing the weather had cooled (and that we had comfy shoes) - we walked until we dropped every day.

Buffalo Nickel Antique Mall, Buffalo Minn.
Of course I picked up some antiques for my Studio: a great small printers tray, a square Mason jar for an upcoming Christmas crafting project, a still-full matchbox and metal stamp pad both with awesome graphics and daughter found that sweet metal soap container for me! I have seen so many antique wall-mounted matchbox holders over the years; but never had I found one that was cast iron and perfectly matching my Victorian wall clip, hook and wall pocket... until now. I'm so glad I waited to find this one! 

(As always, click to biggify the photos)

Antique Studio Stuff
I always try to bring home a reindeer on every trip away from home... so when I spied this vintage fella in a glass case, I knew he had to come up North with us. The honeycomb Halloween picks are too cute, and I couldn't believe I found a paper mache Easter Bunny... I have been wanting him since I saw one in a local antique shop, but there was no way I was laying out $75 bucks - even if he was from the 1930s. This pink beauty is in better condition and was only $20! Later the same day, in another town, we found one more - this time marked $50! So I was very happy this one hopped into my arms.

Vintage Holiday Stuff
Of course I love anything rusty or crusty... these three relics are now decorating my living room. The oil can was a mere $5 and has a paper label with Minneapolis on it. The wheel and pulley were $15 each:

Rusty Stuff
And large spools for the Studio were on my shopping list - they will soon have lace wrapped around them. So pleased to find these for a few bucks each:

Spool Stuff
My largest purchase was this:

Card File Stuff!
You must know by now I love my wooden cabinets and drawers - this beauty was one-third the price of the ones here (they took my first offer!) The gold writing on the top says "Shaw Walker" and when researching it online, this oak dovetail jointed library card cabinet dates from the 1930s. I just couldn't resist... it's in remarkable condition. I still have to organize it and label the drawers, but I already know what it's going to hold.

Yep, I love to travel with daughter; we have so much fun together... but after 1800 km of driving, it's also fun to get back home and "play" with all the new treasures we discovered.

Sharing with:


Angie at Knick of Time Tuesdays


24 comments:

  1. You found some nice antiques on your trip. I've travelled to Buffalo to shop with our youngest daughter but doubt she'd want to peruse antiques like me.
    The bunny was an excellent price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I am so lucky to have a daughter to share in the fun with... when she was younger, shopping was all about clothes at the MOA, now it's spending days antiquing!

      Delete
  2. It is always fun to do a big trip like this, but nice to get home again.(I am a homebody) Glad you had fun with your daughter and found some treasures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I know you do a lot of traveling in your quest for vintage goodies. Isn't it great putting them all in their places when you get back? I just love it.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you and your daughter had such a good time. I love road trips and treasure hunting with my mom, so I know how much fun you had. Love all your fabulous finds especially the wheel and wooden drawers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had so much fun - so great you can do the same with your mom. I really was so lucky to find some nice things at great prices!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a wonderful trip and how nice that you and daughter enjoy going together like that! You made some great finds and I can't get over the price for the wheel and the pulley - high five!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, those where no-brainers... when I spotted them, I loved them, and was extra-pleased when I saw the price tags! Thanks Kathy!

      Delete
  5. What a great trip! But at first I thought you meant Buffalo NY and I thought, 'damn!' lol You got some great stuff. And people tell me I have a lot of stuff to dust! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That's exactly the joke we would say when we used to drive past the Buffalo signs on the highway (in the days before we realized it was antique alley)... "Wow, we're farther east than I thought".

      And what is this 'dust' you refer to? Not a problem for moi ;)

      Delete
  6. You were in my "neck" of the woods! I would have loved to meet you...maybe next trip!!! How fun to go with your daughter. Mine isn't interested in "old"stuff!
    Fun finds!
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Deb, I always think of you and always mean to arrange a meet up, then things get too busy and before I know it, we are home again! Perhaps one year I can get my act in gear and arrange to meet face to face. You sure live in a great antiquing area!

      Delete
  7. Thank you for stopping by. I love your finds, especially the matchstick box and square Ball jar. How gun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa! That square jar is going to be perfect for a little Christmas diorama... I already have most of the goodies to put in it!

      Delete
  8. Hi Maureen, That sounds like a fun trip and you brought so many great treasures home. I especially love the card cabinet, the spools and the oil can.
    All your drawer chests are just gorgeous. What an awesome collection you have. The little matchbox drawer chest is so cute. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love my wooden drawers! I've already filled up the new one... Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. Sounds like a wonderful trip and I adore all of your purchases especially the bunny and spools!!! I'll wrestle you for them:)

    Leann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! You'd probably win that match! But the bunny is so cute; looking online I think this one is German. They are hard to find in good condition, being paper and all. I think it will make a great centerpiece next Easter.

      Delete
  10. Hi Maureen! Oh how fun that must have been!! I love going around to antique shops and malls, unfortunately I never get TOO far away. Great finds!
    Have a nice weekend!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We so look forward to this annual trip; wish we could go more often, but once the snow flies in the Fall, I prefer staying closer to home ;)

      Delete
  11. Wow - you found some fantastic treasures! I'll be featuring you next week at Knick of Time Tuesday. Thanks for sharing at the party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Angie, thank you!!! I am thrilled to be featured.... you are awesome!

      Have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  12. Those library drawers are divine - I am drooling from here! xx Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! I love having everything put away, so they serve nicely (especially important feature of the Studio with three cats wanting to play with my supplies).

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know you were by. I appreciate and read with delight each and every comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...