Saturday, September 14, 2013

Halloween Apothecary - Part Four

In case you missed them, here are direct links to:

Halloween Apothecary - Part One

Halloween Apothecary - Part Two

Halloween Apothecary - Part Three

Today I'll be showing a close up of the left side of my Apothecary cabinet with details of the potion bottles stored in this section. The top is decorated with a small dragon bead I got while in the US over the summer. I painted it black and silver and attached it with E6000 glue. Next to it is my teenie home-made hourglass, two antique bottles and a set of three black candles (simply birthday candles cut down and glued to a painted bottlecap for a base). On the side I glued another Tim Holtz fastener (the same kind I used for the drawers) and opened the ring to create a hook, from which I hung a string of chain. The only other non-bottle item in this section is a very small birdcage; a charm I added a new handle to, then used black alcohol ink to age and distress.


Okay, on to the potions. I've removed the bottles from the cabinet for a clearer view. Most liquid contents are a combination of liquid alcohol hand sanitizer, alcohol inks for colour (Ranger or Copic refillers), paint or Glossy Accents glue. Of the 15 potion bottles in this section (not including the four empty ones in the crate), 12 are filled with different items to reflect the label attached. Remember to click to biggify all these images.


First we have

Toe Of Frog - I used Scupley to create the "toes" and added hand sanitizer coloured green with alcohol ink.
Sliced Caterpillar - Again, Sculpey was rolled into a log shape and cut, cooked and coloured with Copics.
Coffin Nails - Toothpicks cut to size, painted black and silver.
Amortentia - a love potion from Harry Potter. Hand sanitizer and Glossy Accents mixed together. I added part of a heart earring for a charm.


Essence of Dittany - a small leaved plant, covered in Glossy Accents to preserve it.
Professor Slughorn's Tincture No. 1 Swelling Solution - Harry Potter's Potions teacher's own recipe. Actually, it's simply alcohol sanitizer coloured orange...
Blood - that's a real lab flask, but the blood's not real... ;) It's pure alcohol ink.
Tincture of Hemlock - pure black alcohol ink and some cotton for "vapors".


This set includes:

Wartcap Powder - simply ground pepper.
Scaredy Cat Whiskers - donated by each of my three felines - yep, those are real! I loved Laura Carson's idea for the cork decor - two black cat stickers sandwich a pin inserted into the cork.
Skele-Gro - from Harry Potter, an important potion to regrow bones. I used a Tim Holtz bottle of wishbones and added a solution of alcohol sanitizer and Glossy Accents for the milky white liquid. I also attached a skull charm to the string wrap.
Owl Feathers - well, okay. I don't actually OWN an owl (I wish!), so Meeka the lovebird supplied the feathers. I added an owl charm to this one as well as some silver Stickles to the label.

I found all these labels on the net and resized them as small as I could to fit these tiny bottles. I used Glossy Accents to adhere them after colouring with Copic markers or Distress Inks and markers.

Phew! Next up, the right side details...


12 comments:

  1. You amaze me with all the incredible details!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crazy, ain't I? Either that, or I have waaaay too much time on my hands ;) shhhh... don't tell anyone.

      Delete
  2. You have the patience of Job! I was telling my husband all about your box. I would love to see what you would do for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, I love that you shared it with your hubby - that's so cool to hear, thank you!

      Oh Christmas.... I am already trying to think of something different to do. Hmmmm

      Delete
  3. This gets better and better!
    I am pinning most of the photos, as if I could ever duplicate them. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, pin away, that is such a compliment, thank you!

      Delete
  4. You are amazing, what an imagination! Coffin nails made from toothpicks? Sliced Caterpillar? The embellishments are so creative too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thank you Betsy! I am so glad you like it... yeah, I find the labels, then have to figure out how the heck I was going to create the contents. Those nails ended up turning out better than I thought they would!

      Delete
  5. All these little details are just amazing! I cannot imagine how many hours went in to the making.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ask hubby... on second thought, better not.

      Delete
  6. Your attention is simply amazing..well done! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dagmar! You know better than I how a project can take a life of it's own... that bunny factory you have going is churns out some adorable rabbits!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know you were by. I appreciate and read with delight each and every comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...