Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Tim Holtz 12 Tags of 2014-February



Time again for another 12 Tags of 2014! This month I had to wait a bit before making my version of Tim Holtz' tag as a few supplies were purchased online. Once everything arrived, I got all my goodies together and began.


I started by drawing out my own hearts (making two as I make a tag for The Scrapbook Cottage as well) and then cut them out of Grungeboard. I used Fired Brick Distress Ink to colour them and then as Tim instructed, laid down a coat of Glossy Accents and sprinkled with Distress Glitter (he used red, I had clear on hand).


After drying, we were shown to ink the edges of the hearts with Walnut Stain. What a difference it makes! Here is one heart done, the other not to see how much this little step improves the look:


Next I used Tim's Tag & Bookplates Bigz die in my Cuttlebug and created two blank tags. Then I added some Distress Stain to my craft sheet and swiped them through it.  I let them air dry so they wouldn't warp too much.

Once dry, I got out my new Hearts Layering Stencil and used three Distress Inks for the background: Worn Lipstick, Festive Berries and Fired Brick. Before the ink dried, I sprinkled on some fine clear embossing powder, tapped it to remove the excess and used my heat tool to melt it. Now the hearts had a cool glossy finish!

More Walnut Distress Ink was added to the edge, which was then distressed.


The next part I had to do about four times before I got it to work. Using stamps, an embossing pad and black cardstock, I stamped and chalked the sentiment - Tim used his new stamp that was an Elton John lyric; I used The Beatles. ;)

A layer of silver paper was added underneath and a strip of Tim's Industrious Stickers below it - making it look more like a chalkboard to me!


I added another Industrious Sticker - this time the arrow - but instead of leaving it whole and positioned straight across the tag as he had done, I cut mine in half and inserted it into a slot sliced into the glittered heart. A bit of Glossy Accents held it in place, as well as attaching it onto the tag itself.



I added a Walnut inked grommet to the top and wrapped a length of Tim's red and cream Trimmings to the opening.


This one looks easier than January's tag, but I found it more challenging; it was a good lesson using embossing, stenciling, inks and glitter... but I definitely need to practice with his cool chalkboard technique!


If you too are joining in on the fun, please let me know in the comments - I would love to see what you do as well!

19 comments:

  1. Isn't it funny how the ones that look 'easy' are the projects that are more complex?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did it again, so cute! It definitely makes a huge difference after you stained the edges of the sweet heart. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I just had to take that photo when I saw the difference...

      Delete
  3. I love the way you make it your own. Yes, inking the edges makes such a difference. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi :)
    This is georgous!
    You are welcome to take a look at my tag in my blog.

    Fredrikke :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful wonderful looking tags! Well done, you are incredibly creative! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dagmar - Tim is so much fun to learn from!

      Delete
  6. Great job on Tim's Feb Tag Maureen. It is amazing what a little ink does to bring out the heart. Love the arrow going through the heart too. Great job. Karen.x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice tags. I like the old fashion feel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too... Tim's style is a favorite of mine for sure.

      Delete
  8. Well done, it is a wonderful tag, your talent is amazing,
    Warm up Winnipeg, so Maureen can go thrifting! Xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dagmar - ha! Yes, it looks like it might finally be warming up...

      Delete
  9. I'm just now beginning Tag Making... so much Fun and a Project that doesn't really monopolize a lot of precious time so I can feel quite Fulfilled getting at least one made! *winks* This Season we decorated our Christmas Tree with Home-Made Tags, some by me and others made and given to me as Gifts from Talented Artist Friends. It's a great way to personalize decor and Vignettes.

    Blessings from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know you were by. I appreciate and read with delight each and every comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...