Friday, April 18, 2014

Happy Easter!

Well, here it is the holiday long weekend - I am preparing to host the family Easter dinner Sunday night so I've been busy with decorating and getting things together.

Each season I like to make something special for the holiday dinner table; this year since I am learning to knit, I thought I would try some knitted Easter Eggs! 


I began by purchasing some paper mache eggs for forms.


I gave each one two coats of white acrylic paint so the brown wouldn't show through the stitches.


Next I got to knitting. I found a pattern on Ravelry, but it was far too large for these eggs, so I modified it to fit. I began with cotton as the pattern suggested - but this was too stiff for my liking; I ended up picking up more springy acrylic which worked so much better. I made seven with variegated baby yarn for each guest's place setting.


After each one was finished flat, I sewed them up over the egg form.



I then bought some solid colours and received perfect pastel yarn-ends from my mom who is de-stashing her craft supplies. Now I could try my hand at designing my own patterns using Excel to map the colours.


I finished enough to fill a beautiful crystal bowl (from my mom too) for our Easter table.


Now I must get to cleaning, cooking and baking. Good thing Monday is a holiday for me; I'm looking forward to relaxing, visiting a few blogs and getting back to some paper crafts after a busy weekend.

Happy Easter everyone!

13 comments:

  1. You are becoming an expert knitter in record time; I'm SO impressed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw Michelle, thank you; coming from a fellow knitter, I am quite thrilled! I would love to have some of your fleece to try out one day!

      Delete
  2. Wow! You have mastered knitting with all those different patterns . I am very impressed. I would of been lazy and just done block colours or stripes. Have a Happy Easter.
    Rosezeeta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosezetta! It was a lot of figuring out those patterns, and Excel worked great to graph them out!

      Delete
  3. Those came out great!!! But fyi, Walmart is selling white, dyeable plastic eggs. Then you wouldn't have to paint them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sweet ~ Happy Easter to you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have certainly mastered knitting and embraced it! Happy Easter

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to see you are still knitting Maureen. Fantastic effort on those eggs...and they are all different too. Happy Easter to you...enjoy some relaxation over the break. Karen.x

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are adorable, I've never seen anything like them before. They're sure to be a huge hit at your beautiful Easter table. Happy Easter to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those eggs are adorable and such a clever idea!! Maybe there will be Christmas balls in the future?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Easter to you Maureen, these are simply delightful, I have those very same eggs, what a good use for them..your knitting is marvelous, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are so Cute!

    Happy Easter from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know you were by. I appreciate and read with delight each and every comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...