Thursday, May 29, 2014

A Special Card

Each year, I strive to make an extra-special card for my daughter's birthday. I can't believe she turned 23 last week!

This year I came across a video showing how to make a Cascading Card. It was great, but I changed it up a bit and made it 6" tall (larger than the sample card) and strengthened the folds with tape so it wouldn't slide apart.

Daughter's favorite colour is turquoise, so the paper choice was easy; I used "Birds of a Feather" from Graphic 45's new line "Botanical Tea" set. I also used three matching chipboard cutouts and fussy cut a few bird images from the leftover paper.


When folded out, it stands on its own as a 3D card. I used Tim Holtz' "Weathered Wood" Distress Ink on all the edges of the paper (back and front) before assembly. The ribbon is from my stash and the front is decorated with a Wild Orchid Craft rose, stamens and some gauze.


I added a second layer of paper to the back for support, and that is where I wrote the sentiment and signed the card.


She loved it! And much to my surprise, it fit perfectly inside the gift box we placed her present inside too... totally unplanned.

I hope you enjoy seeing the video I used as inspiration and try this out for yourself! It was a lot of fun and so easy to create.




6 comments:

  1. Each card is it's own gift and piece of artwork! Amazing as usual Maureen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your daughter will love her card.Thanks for the video link.I', going to try this. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully done Maureen! I may have to give the cascading card a go. I'm sure your daughter will be very delighted. Karen.x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I know she loved it and it will be a keepsake and special memory for the rest of her life. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always marvel at what you can do with paper! Happy Birthday to your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seriously, if I had a quarter of your talent at creating such wonderfulness I would be happy. :) Happy Birthday to your dear daughter!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know you were by. I appreciate and read with delight each and every comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...