Saturday, August 31, 2013

RIP HP & Back To It All

Hi there... remember me? My name is Maureen and I used to blog.

And do some artsy / craftsy things too.

But when my dear 8 year old HP laptop died about 10 days ago, I was forced to make a huge decision.

Replace it with another PC or finally bite the bullet and go Apple? I love my iPhone and iPad, but since I have quite a bit of Windows-based imaging and web-building software, I decided to hunt down a new PC laptop. When I got to the store however, I learned that I could run BOTH Windows and Apple on a MacBook Pro.

My dream come true!

I have always wanted a Mac, so because I am a University faculty member and since Apple is running a special offer for the beginning of the school year, I finagled a deal for over $200 off a new MacBook! (I know, I am bad and/or damn lucky - it never hurts to ask!).

Needless to say, since I brought it home, I have been on a steep learning curve (oh and he talks - WITH an English accent thankyouverymuch). He, erm, IT is wonderful... everything is running great; I have my old Windows programs back, new software to learn with a $150 App Store credit and because I am vigilant in backing up, I didn't lose anything when my ex-HP bit the dust (may it Rest In Peace).

It is so wonderful to be back.

Oh and before my Crises Of The Expired Laptop occurred, I was busy every night on a rather large Halloween project that I will be revealing when I get back to completing it.

I did however, finish a smaller project I am ready to share today though:

A domino book! I have seen these on many Pinterest boards, on Laura's website and on YouTube. Using 1" x 2" sized dominoes, you create a book using accordion-folded paper, ribbon and whatever you fancy to decorate it.

Mine is all about birds...



Using a dimensional sticker from Jolee's, I replaced the ribbon with a length of chain at the top and attached it to the front of my book. I then stamped some Inkadinkado birds, coloured them all in black (some were just outlines) cut them out individually and added them to each page. The last page features an empty birdcage with open door - it's a charm that I dyed with black alcohol ink. The background was created with Ranger Distress inks and rub-ons from Basic Grey.


The edges of the dominoes were painted black with a Copic marker. The ribbon is silvery seam binding. Here's a shot of the back with patterned paper, distress inked edges and another rub-on.


I really love how alcohol inks react on smooth non-porous surfaces. I inked both dominoes with black and white ink and added some Alcohol Blending Solution to create this great mottled effect:


A fun little project I have wanted to try for some time now!

27 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Melissa! I love making teenie things it seems...

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you like your Mac. I switched a couple of years ago but am able to do everything I want with the Apple software. My daughter who is a nurse had to download Windows on hers to be able to work with the hospital programs.
    I like the domino project you created, quite unique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it and I work in a hospital as well, so that is why this setup is so perfect! Thanks so much!

      Delete
  3. Another amazing project! I have kicked around getting some alcohol inks for pinterest projects but haven't yet. Glad you got a new computer too! Russell dropped his on the screen and one of our friends said it would be cheaper and easier in the long run to just get a new one vs. a screen replacement kit. But we are sticking w/ PC. Mac scares me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JoJo - alcohol inks are wonderful! Hope you get to try them soon.

      Yikes about Russell's laptop! I was tentative about moving to Apple too, but after using my iPad and iPhone for years now, I am way more comfortable with it!

      Delete
  4. Welcome back, I replaced my PC with a MacBook Pro, and you are right, it is a learning curve, one you seem to manage beautifully. Love your domino mini booklet! Happy September !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dagmar, Happy September to you too! Glad to meet another MacBook Pro user!

      Delete
  5. Welcome back and the domino book turned out great. I love the bird theme.
    There is seldom anything fun about getting a new computer but sounds like it is different in this case since you were able to upgrade to something you really wanted. Have fun investigating the new apps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy! Yeah, it's not fun reinstalling everything and getting it setup correctly. Good thing I have a daughter who also has had a MacBook Pro for a couple of years - she's a great teacher! ;)

      Delete
  6. Your domino book is really cute! Looks like it was a lot of fun to make too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I love little projects like this; they are a lot of fun to create and can be done in a day which is nice too.

      Delete
  7. Love your very cute and clever domino book. You always do such an amazing job with the smallest treasures. Welcome back, happy to hear you're all up and running again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh, that is so cute!! Welcome back, good to hear from you.
    gina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gina! Must get around to visiting others once again!

      Delete
  9. Oh my gosh, that is so cute!! Welcome back, good to hear from you.
    gina

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness, I haven't seen that before....that is adorable! So glad you are back to blogging. I am getting some strength back...so hopefully i will be able to do more soon myself! Your little dominoe book is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ceekay - I do hope you are feeling better. This is a great little project; hopefully you can try it sometime too!

      Delete
  11. Was wondering where you have wandered off to and happy to find you back and blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Yeah, I was spending many evenings setting everything back up again... great to be back! Thanks!

      Delete
  12. Welcome back...and I am so glad for you that you now have a Mac! Although I am already 73 yrs. old...I would still love to be able to get a Mac desk top...but they are sooooo expensive, especially for one on a limited income. It's wonderful to see a post about altered art...I love the little mini-books. I do have a few YouTube videos saved on doing these projects but have never tried one. Yours looks a lot easier and I might try it. Please keep up these kind of post...they are so artsy and so inventive. Warmly,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the very kind comment! YouTube is a great resource for sure! I learned quite a bit watching videos on both setting up my Mac AND creating the domino book!

      Delete
  13. Welcome to the FRIENDLY side! I've had Apple computers since 1987, so I'm obviously happy. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michelle! I love my iPad and iPhone, so I hoped eventually I would get a Mac... so glad I did!

      Delete
  14. Love your project Maureen as I do all your work. Everything always turns out wonderful.

    Congrats on getting a Mac. I've had several and I LOVE working on a Mac. I especially enjoy that my iPhone and iPad are both user friendly with my computer. Recently I bought a new desktop but I still cart my laptop or iPad wherever I go. Enjoy Maureen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw you are so kind Carole, thank you! I too seem to have nearly the whole Apple family now; from a teenie iPod Shuffle, regular iPod, iPhone, iPad and now my MacBook. Love them all!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know you were by. I appreciate and read with delight each and every comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...