Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Grandpa's Garden

For Father's Day, I decided I WOULDN'T make a homemade card for my Dad this year...

Instead, I made him a memory book!

Since he and my Mom recently moved from their home of 60 years, I thought he might like a keepsake of the beautiful garden he spent so many hours patiently tending. So after they moved but before the new owners took possession, I snapped a whole bunch of photos and snipped a few flowers and leaves to press.

At first, I made a book in the style similar to my Steampunk Journal, again following dear Anne (at Anne's Paper Creations) in her awesome instructional videos.


But when I started to add the photos, I realized it was much too small - I didn't want to drastically crop the images, so I set it aside for a future project and instead made a binder-style album with wider and taller pages.


Some photos were kept whole, some I fussy cut. I used Multi-Matte on the pressed flowers and leaves to preserve them. Tags and other embellishments were also added here and there in pockets and on flaps.


The beautiful iris on the cover is a fussy cut close up photo...


I also incorporated a few dimensional stickers and Tim Holtz die cuts. Graphic 45 papers from Botanical Tea and Secret Garden sets were perfect for backgrounds and beautiful tags / booklets.


I also used Tim's Remnant Rubs directly on the photos and tags - what a great (and easy!) way to accent the pages!


It took a few days to create; but I completed it with just hours to spare before gifting it Sunday afternoon (these are some - not all - of the pages inside).


It was so much fun to make.


My sister and I brought home a few plants from their garden to our our yards...


...and now Mom and Dad also have a piece of it too - and a book to remember it by as well!




19 comments:

  1. What a special gift; your dad's smile says it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michelle! I was sure glad they didn't move in the Fall ;)

      Delete
  2. Maureen what a beautiful keep sake for your parents. I LOVE the Iris on front cover. Now your dad can still enjoy his old garden. A very thoughtful gift. Love it! Karen.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh his Iris flowers are so beautiful - he had a few different varieties - but they are nearly impossible to press, so I am glad the macro shot turned out. Thank you Karen!

      Delete
  3. Oh what a wonderful and thoughtful project! I can see that they loved it! I am working on my family tree albums to bring along to my Grandma's service this Saturday and hope I can share a few memories with my cousins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea Kathy. I am so sorry for your recent losses, but what a nice way to remember!

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful and thoughtful Father's Day gift, something money could never buy. It looks like your parents are thrilled with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they did like it! I am so glad I finished it in time. Thanks Betsy!

      Delete
  5. What a great gift!! I'm sure he'll treasure it forever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so! He spent so much time making their back yard so beautiful, I am sure he is going to miss it!

      Delete
  6. What a lovely sentiment! The book is just beautiful and I'm certain they will enjoy it over and over again! Terri xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Terri! It was a fun project to be sure.

      Delete
  7. That is a super thoughtful gift and I am sure your dad will treasure it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laurie - at least he doesn't have to worry about weeds any more! ;)

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thank you Kelly! It was perfect timing with the house sale and Father's Day so close together...

      Delete
  9. How beautiful! What a special, special gift - and from the smiles, much appreciated. You did a very special thing :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love that last photo... so glad they loved it; those smiles were worth all the hours creating it!

      Delete
  10. Maureen, this is an amazing post and such a wonderful and heartfelt card. Beautifully done!
    Xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know you were by. I appreciate and read with delight each and every comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...