Thursday, October 25, 2012

Eek!

During our shopping trip to the US last week, daughter and I spotted the same type of Halloween decoration in both department stores and gift shops. They were blocks of wood with letters spelling out "Boo!" or "Eek!". The price per set of four blocks ran about $20.

She nearly bought a set - until I told her I thought I could make some for her instead.

So  the next day after we got home, I started my project.

First I searched through the pile of scrap wood in the garage and found two pieces of 1 X 4s that were of similar size. I wanted them to be a bit rough; not perfect. Hubby cut each piece in half so that I had four pieces all of differing heights.

Since daughter has a lot of black in her place, I gave them a coat of watered-down black acrylic paint. Then I found some striped Halloweeny-type paper in my stash:


This glitter sheet we bought a few years back. It's TPC Studio's "Class Act Stripe" #2010143. I cut strips 3" wide and then matted them on white cardstock, attaching them to the wood using Scor-Tape:


I got out my Spellbinders dies and cut eight ovals on the Cuttlebug; four in white and four smaller in black. My Cricut was perfect to make the stencil-style letters; and everything was layered and secured with more tape:


Done! I sealed them in a plastic ZipLock bag to protect them from the rain and delivered them to her place while she was out, hidden between her front doors so she'd get a surprise when she got home...

and yes, she was surprised all right! She loved them!

What an easy, quick and fun project that cost me zero dollars since I had everything on hand -- and saved her about $20 too!

I think these would look great on a fireplace mantel, strewn with a cobweb or two and a few spiders crawling over for a spooky effect...

EEK!

6 comments:

  1. Those are awesome Maureen! You do a great job with your crafts!!!! Did you make a BOO for yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so much fun and the fact that they cost nothing makes them even better. Oh yes, think of the possibilities. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are brilliant! LOVE teh word and indeed, what a wonderful and great looking project!

    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blimey, they look absolutely fabulous. Perfect for Halloween. What an absolutely brilliant idea! I found your blog through 2 Bags Full 'grow your blog' event. Such fun ;-) I am your newest follower, Annie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for asking Maureen! All is well with us! Hope the same to you. :)Take care my dear friend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know you were by. I appreciate and read with delight each and every comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...