Tuesday, November 26, 2013

New Old Treasures

Daughter and I went to one of our favorite antique shows last weekend. Unfortunately, it was also the day Winter decided to arrive. But ice and snow wasn't going to keep us away from discovering some "new" old treasures.

I found some old metals - two cookie cutters and nine awesome vintage clips made in Germany (perfect for Studio projects!):


Some beautiful ceramics - two small horses that reminded me of one my paternal grandmother gave me when I was very young:


And an adorable set of Beswick bunnies - for half the price someone else wanted for them when I spotted a set at an antique shop over the summer!


A few regal items for my Victorian Studio - a Coronation plate from 1902:


And a Canadian Provost Corps cap badge. Love anything with a crown; these both have a bonus with a lion wearing a crown too!


Of course, I told daughter to be on the lookout for any vintage Christmas. Pickings were slim, but she did find some small glass ornies in a great old box. All I found was this poor glass bird without a tail. Since it was only $2, I decided to adopt it into my family of vintage ornaments:


When I got it home though, I realized there was something inside the bird. I pulled... and out popped the tail! In perfect silky condition. What a great surprise!


Actually that was my second surprise of the day - daughter found this mica-dusted deer and gave to me to join my ever-growing deer herd.


So despite the awful weather, we had a wonderful time. In fact, BECAUSE it was so nasty out, the show was a delight to roam about without the usual crowds!



14 comments:

  1. I just repaired a bunch of the birds that I had. The tails often slide inside if they aren't stuck in place just so..glad that was the case with your little birdie. Fun time with your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I thought of you when I saw it... since it's beak was still intact, I assumed it was a good buy. Now with the tail, it was a great buy!

      Delete
  2. Nice finds! Do you have an idea how you will use the cafe clips? I have a few of those and keep thinking they will come in handy but never actually do anything with them. I love how ornate they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh cafe clips! I have been using them to hold paper together in my books while the glue dries. They work great!

      Delete
  3. Hello Maureen,
    Wonderful having a daughter who has inherited your antiquing genes! And has such good taste!
    Xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the deer and the little bird. I found a bag full of old birdies the other week, the tails and clips were unattached so have a little bit of work to get them in shape!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I am so glad you were able to rescue them! I love the vintage ornaments... they are definitely worth saving!

      Delete
  5. Great finds as usual. Love the vintage christmas stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, but it's getting harder and harder to find; pretty popular to collect them now!

      Delete
  6. Good thing you didn't let the nasty weather keep you away. Your treasures are all so sweet. What a surprise that must have been to discover the tail inside the bird. Thanks for sharing your treasure hunt with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it sure was a surprise! I wonder how the seller never noticed... but lucky for me she didn't!

      Delete
  7. Woderful finds Maureen. Love those vintage clips....can't wait to see them on a project. Karen.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh those clips are already coming in handy with my books and journals - both during creation and display!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know you were by. I appreciate and read with delight each and every comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...