Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Steampunk Journal

It all started a few weeks ago... I was watching my favorite paper crafter on YouTube:  sweet Anne from Anne's Paper Creations, and was intrigued with how she was making the spine of a book in her "How To Make A Mini-Album From Start To Finish".

So I took down some notes and before I knew it, I was making my very own journal along with this fabulous teacher. Even though I only had 2 of the 5 sheets of 12 x 12 black cardstock she recommends for the pages (isn't that always the way), I still had a few 12 x 12 sheets and a 6 x 6 pad of Graphic 45's "Steampunk Spells" left over from Halloween, a 12 x 12 pad of Recollections "Steampunk Botanica" and an 8 x 8 pad of "Typography" paper from Graphic 45 so I could try it with those... hmm...

I decided to create a Steampunk-themed journal / tag book just for fun. I also still had a bunch of metal charms from my Steampunk Carnival project, so I began. Two weeks later, I can finally say I am finished. The book measures about 5" x 7". Here's the cover - the spine of which was embossed in my Cuttlebug and covered with a few coats of Claudine Hellmuth's Multi-Matte Medium to make it strong but flexible. The chipboard covers were painted black and black lace is layered underneath the image. Click to biggify all the images.

Such a great image from Steampunk Spells by Graphic 45.
Metal gears and a chain of charms were added to the chipboard book cover

Even though the spine has binding flaps for a mere five pages, with Anne's ingenious paper folding and cutting, you end up with 46 pages (48 if you include the inside covers. Which I do.)  Needless to say, with all my embellishments this book is bursting and can barely close even with a chain to hold it somewhat shut.

More charms added to the closure chain.
That's an earring part I used for a clip
A closer look at some of the pages:


A mixture of the different paper lines; fussy cut and attached with a variety of Multi-Matte, Glossy Accents and ScorTape.


Punches, Cricut, Cuttlebug... I used them all in this project! Some flaps have thin magnets to snap them closed. Tim Holtz gears, attachers, Distress Inks, stamps and charms were also used.


The really thin gears are by "Bead Landing" in the jewelry section at Michaels - a set of 90 gears were less than $3 on sale. So yeah, I picked up a few packages of those!


That orange strip was black cardstock and using my fingers, I rubbed it with copper paste (Inka Gold Metallic Rub) and ran it through my Cuttlebug to create an embossed "riveted" look. Metal frames were popped up on foam dimensionals to hold tags too.

Well, since it's hard to show you exactly how the pages fold and tags are stored, I decided to make a video. It's my very first attempt; so please don't laugh too hard. You can biggify full screen to see better, and the sound is quite low so you may need to increase the volume:




Thank you so much Anne, for your wonderful tutorials and inspiration! I hope I did you proud.

I know I loved making it!


26 comments:

  1. I was curled up my sofa and was absolutely mesmerized by the beauty, detail and all the fun pull outs included in your steam punk journal. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Hester! What a sweet compliment! I am glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  2. So beautiful! I love to make altered books but they get too bulky. I just made a steampunk themed card yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you JoJo! I was so worried about making a video - I didn't want to suck at speaking about it; but there is no way to show all the features in static photos - so I bit the bullet and tried...

      Delete
  3. Maureen, I am sitting here nearly speechless. This book is just amazing in all the little details you included and you absolutely ROCKED your first video! Wowza!
    Excuse me, I am overcome by the urge to go make something....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, you're too kind Kathy, thank you! I was nervous doing an actual video...

      Delete
  4. I am enchanted with SteamPunk and your journal is amazing. Very well done. Creative Bliss...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do love Steampunk; I was glad I could make something not specifically Halloween - I just love those papers!

      Delete
  5. Wow, it's amazing! I have those G45 papers lying in my stash because these are too beautiful to use them, but this book is really perfect for use them!
    It's luscious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh aren't Graphic 45 papers the best? Like Anne says, "get out those papers and cut into them!" She is right; so much fun to USE them rather than have them collecting dust in a pile. Thank you so much Gio!

      Delete
  6. I'm off to see the video but first must tell you that I absolutely love this and can't wait to make my own. Thanks for showing and yes Anne's creations are up and above fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Mickie! If you do make one, please let me know - I would love to see it!

      Delete
  7. Absolutely beautiful Maureen. The pages are so professionally put together. Thanks for sharing. Karen.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen! At one point I was going to split it up into two books, with only the one style in each... maybe in the future I will do more that way.

      Delete
  8. Watched your video and it was great! I love all the things you used and how you used them. Great job girl!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you again Mickie! It was really strange doing the video - but I think I just may do more. It was fun too!

      Delete
  9. Are you kidding me?? How can someone just "decide" to make a journal and then just create all that magic?? My mind just can't comprehend that. Your pages are just amazing-- and the whole project is a stunning creation. That looks like hours and hours of work to me. You are pretty awesome--
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Vickie, you are too kind... yes, it took a long time, but it was a fun time trying new techniques.

      Delete
  10. Wow, Maureen -- this is a stunning project! Beautifully designed and crafted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janet! I am so glad we are connecting again - you know every time the Cranberry Bliss Bars come out at Starbucks, I think of you ;)

      Delete
  11. You've left me speechless once again! I can not believe your attention to detail!! Love the steampunk theme, the magnets, the gears...you had me at the earring closure. All those little pullouts are just incredible. Bravo!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that is high praise coming from an artist like you Betsy, thank you! I lucked out with that earring closure - too bad I didn't find more than the one in my stash - must be on the lookout for some for future projects!

      Delete
  12. Hi Maureen, I am just amazed watching your video. Your book is outstanding and all the incredible details, pullout and tags are fabulous. What a talent you are. I so enjoyed this and stopped by from Kathy's and the link she shared in her post.

    Have a great week.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Celestina Marie! Kathy was so kind to mention me - and I am very glad you popped by!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know you were by. I appreciate and read with delight each and every comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...