Saturday, June 29, 2013

Oh Canada!

I don't normally check out the items displayed in the glass cabinets at the front of Value Village stores; usually it's filled with high-end collectibles, electronics or jewelry - not really items I shop for there. But the other day I was killing time waiting for hubby to join me after work; so I wandered over.

Am I glad I did... for a found this pewter medallion in a black velvet presentation box that's a perfect addition to my Studio (yep, anything with crowns or Royal emblems fits right in):


It's very heavy and measures about 2.5" across. Canada's Royal Coat of Arms is embossed on the front and the back is inscribed with "Parliament of Canada" in both English and French with the maker's mark on the bottom.


When I brought it home, I couldn't find anything about it online... other than the website for the maker Aitken's Pewter. I contacted them and found out that this medallion is from 2007 and was provided to the Canadian Parliament in Ottawa as a souvenir that MLAs could hand out.


A very cool item to find, especially when Canada Day was coming up.


I just love this tabletop ad I picked up at a restaurant many, many years ago... would can resist a flag-bearing beaver and beer? Oh so Canadian:


Speaking of beavers, here's my favorite one of all


So to all my fellow Canucks across our wonderful, beautiful country I hope on Monday you have a

Happy Canada Day!


6 comments:

  1. I've been paying tribute to Canada Day all weekend on FB. Loved the 'talking beaver' and I'm glad he wasn't hit by a car! Last night I dipped strawberries in white chocolate and red sugar to make a Canadian flag but I didn't have anything to make the maple leaf. So it was the flag w/o the leaf. I tried to find maple leaf sprinkles at the craft store baking aisle but they didn't have any.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just LOVED your post JoJo! Of all my American friends, I dare say you are the most knowledgeable about Canada! Happy Fourth of July to you and yours!

      Delete
  2. What a great find and perfect timing too. Love your festive table, hope you had a wonderful day:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Betsy! Happy Fourth to you!

      Delete
  3. Great find Maureen, are we just the lucky ones to be Canadian, EH? xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We sure are Dagmar! I know how lucky we are and appreciate it every day. Hope you're keeping cool out West... 'tis very hot here as well.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know you were by. I appreciate and read with delight each and every comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...