Thursday, June 27, 2013

Rub A Dub Dub

You just never know what you're going to discover at the Goodwill...

The other day I found this for $6:


Since there was no lettering or graphics on the top, I thought I would decorate it myself. But what to do?


While looking for inspiration online, I found this photo while Googling "vintage washboards":


When I looked closely, I saw "Winnipeg" (my city) written on the left lower corner of the photo... and thought that my washboard looked very much like this one, so perhaps this was the graphic I should use. I found a straight-on picture to print it off so I could use the same technique as when I created my "Antiques" sign  to transfer it to the board.



But first, it needed a good wash as it was rather dirty. I started with the glass and then thought I could at least get some of the dust off the top wooden area so the transfer would adhere better. To my surprise, the more I scrubbed, the more dirt rinsed away, revealing something very interesting underneath...


Well holy crap! It WAS an Economy board! I carefully washed what I could, fearing I would take all the lettering off if I went too far.

So what do you think - leave it original and faded, or should I repaint the writing in black to make it legible?

Now I don't know WHAT to do!

Sharing with:


The Thrifty Groove


24 comments:

  1. What a good surprise! It did not even look that dirty in the first photo, but it certainly must have been. I would be torn with what to do. The writing is fairly faded, so with confidence high in your ability to paint..I would make it more legible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I didn't think it was dirty either - actually I think it was caked with old soap!

      Delete
  2. Maureen,
    Thanks so much for stopping by!! I passed one of these up at the yard sales last week and now I am kicking myself in the you know what!!!!

    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you got so much at those yard sales, I can't imagine you left that much behind! ;) I'll bet you find one easily... fingers crossed for ya! Happy Fourth Debbie!

      Delete
  3. How funny to find the lettering! I might leave it alone. Great purchase!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't that weird? You just never know what's underneath... I found gold lettering underneath my desk drawer cabinet when I cleaned it too. Makes it even more special!

      Delete
  4. Love love love the Goodwill!!! Always treasures to be found there! I vote to leave it worn and faded-- but whatever you do will be fab!

    You're so nice to visit me:)

    Xoxo
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh your posts are a feast for the eyes; always a pleasure to visit you Vicki! Yep, Goodwill can sometimes have some real treasures - the trick is patience! And luck ;)

      Delete
  5. Wow, what a fun surprise and a great bargain too. I vote for leaving it just the way it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the consensus agrees. Well, less work for me I guess! Thank you Betsy!

      Delete
  6. Love it and so happy it has the writing on it! I would leave as is also! Great find! Thanks for joining TTF this week!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU Linda! It's so much fun when I get an opportunity to play along with your party!

      Delete
  7. I say leave it as is...What a great story!!! And what a great find!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carol! Hope you and yours have a Happy Fourth!

      Delete
  8. I say, start a bluegrass band! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha! You don't KNOW how many pics of people PLAYING washboards I had to go through before finding images of real vintage ones... geesh!

      Delete
  9. Maureen, I value the original finish as is, try living with it for a while then decide if you want to paint it! Love the little bunny pictures! Hope you're having a great weekend.....Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right Mary, thank you! Oh and thanks for the comment about our bunnies - they are too cute (even when mischievous!) Happy Fourth!

      Delete
  10. Oh my, what a very lucky find, Maureen- that was a cleaning job that gave very much value for your work, lol.
    I think like the other bloggers, that I would leave it as is , for now,- and then maybe later when even more faded ,you could paint it over!!!
    Hugs,Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dorthe! Yes, it was quite the scene, like I was transported back in time, scrubbing a washboard like it was laundry day circa 1880! :)

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. I shall take the advice of the majority - I shall leave it! Thanks Michelle!

      Delete
  12. I think you should leave it in that great shabby chic condition..another great addition to your crafting space!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Dagmar! Now I just have to CLEAN my Studio for Karen's party coming up soon!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know you were by. I appreciate and read with delight each and every comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...