Monday, May 16, 2011

A Wedding Shower Gift and Card


Since this month our family has been invited to a cousin's nuptials, I have also been invited to attend the bride's Wedding Shower... and a request in the invitation was to bring a favorite recipe to pass on to her. So I created both a Wedding Shower gift and card to give her.

Here's how I made the box:

How To Make a 5" X 3" Recipe Box:

Start out by cutting a 12" X 12" page of heavy cardstock into two pieces:

1 - 8.25" X 12"
1 - 3.75" X 12" (You won't need this piece for the box)

Cut the 8.25" X 12" piece into two:

1 - 8.25" X 7.25"
1 - 8.25" X 4.75"

Score, fold and cut each of these two pieces as per the following diagram:


Here's what mine looked like after cutting, scoring and folding:


Add Scor-Tape to the sides and bottoms to create your box with a top flap.

I added two Basic Grey thin magnets so it snaps shut. Just use Scor-Tape to adhere the first side of the magnet to the inside of the front of the box. Then snap the second magnet in place on the outside front of the box to line it up. Add Scor-Tape to the outside of the magnet and press down the flap to adhere it in the proper position (I remove the adhesive these magnets come with, since Scor-Tape is so much stronger). You will need to place something hard inside the box to press down onto -- I found two acrylic stamp blocks worked perfectly. (You could also do this step BEFORE putting the box together, but I didn't think of it until I had the box taped up!) I finished by covering each magnet with cardstock so they won't be accidentally knocked off when in use.


Inside the completed recipe box:


If you want to make a matching card, you can certainly use the leftover piece of 3.75" X 12" cardstock. I had a second sheet of matching paper, so I cut a piece 12" X 6" and did a triple fold card to mimic the shape of the recipe box. The finished size of the card is 5" X 6".


My box and card  set features the following three stamps: Mini Kitchen Tilda, Mini Chef Edwin and Tilda is Baking.

The following Copics were used to colour all three images:

E0000, E00 E01, E02, E11, E13, E30, E33, E35, E37, E49, E53, E57, E59, BV000, BV01, BV02, Y000, Y21, C0, C1, C2, C3.

To create my recipe box and matching card, I used both the Lavender and White Heart embossed paper I got from Michael's years ago. Bazzill Purple Pizzazz cardstock was also used. Two Martha Stewart edge punches created the Scroll Heart and Loops Heart designs.

The lace ribbon is from Dollarama Crafts, the pearls and flowers are from Michael's and the doilies are made by Wilton. The leaves are made with the Martha Stewart Fern Punch. Inside the card I typed up an edited version of "A Recipe for a Happy Marriage" I found on the net.


I hope the bride-to-be likes it!

38 comments:

  1. Gorgeous and sweet. Cool and fun Scor-pal project :o)
    Hugs,
    Cabio

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea and project! Your choice of images is just perfect! Love everything about this idea! Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic idea and it's still all about the wedding so i think it counts!! LOL!!! Love that little cooking Tilda!!! She's my favourite!!! Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is delicious, love the recipe holder, thank you so much for the turorial. All those sweet Tilda's and of course Edwin. Beautiful creation.
    Hugs
    Suzi x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your creations, gorgeous! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Maureen!

    This set is so doggone cute! I've been staring at all the details for several minutes now. Just love it! Great job :-)

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super project and thanks for instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an amazing bridal shower gift, Maureen!!! I love the idea!! You used the perfect images and embellishments and put it all together perfectly! Thanks for the info on converting the size, too!!!!
    hugs, Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sweet idea for a shower gift....Love the colors. Everything goes together so nicely.
    Hugs~
    Corinne

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW, super cute idea. I love the recipe box idea, so clever! Your project looks amazing, the bride will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maureen, this is just lovely. I love the colors. Thanks so much for the tutorial, very clever!

    Hugs, Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great creations! Love the idea 'A Recipe for a Happy Marriage'! Hugs, Annelies

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea for a shower! I had my relatives give me recipes too, but they were just stuck in a plain old recipe box! Beautiful work Maureen and so nice that you shared a tutorial too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous set to give away. The recipebox is perfect!
    Hugs, Jill

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a good idea i really like it .Love the colours .

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great idea. I love the recipe inside. TFS.

    Kris
    dietzrobles at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Not only a perfectly embellished box, but your tutorial is wonderful! You are so inspirational. I love the Recipe for a Happy Marriage also! Beautiful project...hugs...Barb

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful recipee box. I love the colors and way you embellished it. I'm sure the bride is going to be thrilled to receive such a special gift.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you SO much for the instructions! Gotta bookmark this!
    Rene :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great idea and what fantastic keepsake!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yesssssssssss this is totally awesome for a wedding shower gift! Perfect. I adore that tilda with a rolling pin. she's like a little cinderella! Great job with all the pics for the tut too! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. STUNNING!! such elegant projects, pulled together with absolute style, your work as always exceptional!
    smiles
    Paola

    ReplyDelete
  23. This idea is really super!! I love it.

    Hugs
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely, cute gift.

    ** Kate **

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, what an amazing creation, love it! Gorgeous colours and great 'recipe' too!
    Love Nicola xxx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Maureen..What a fantastic gift and such a brilliant take on the challenge! Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a cute, cute idea!! I love it! And you've done a wonderful job on all the Maggies!
    Hugs, Denise

    ReplyDelete
  28. Such a great idea and gift Maureen--what new bride wouldn't love some tried and true recipes to start off with. My mom & grandma did the same for me and I will treasure them always. Beautifully done and the perfect images as well!

    hugz,
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is just gorgeous. Love the colours u used. I especially love the recipe of marriage. Just beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  30. what a superb project! Thanks for the tutorial too.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow!!! What a wonderful idea. Love the recipe for a happy marriage. A keepsake for sure.

    Thanks for sharing

    Julie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know you were by. I appreciate and read with delight each and every comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...