Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Jackpot!

A mere six days ago, I commented on Magpie Ethel's blog that I "had no vintage Halloween decor - yet." She has the best collections of vintage, well, everything! I just love the look and she has inspired me to add old Christmas, Valentine and Easter items to my holiday decorations... but since Halloween has to be my second-favorite holiday behind Christmas, I really wanted to find something special and old to add this Fall too.

Some of my favorite vintage paper decorations are made by Beistel. I have their Easter Bunny, and I have long adored their awesome Halloween black cats; sadly vintage ones are pretty expensive.

When researching Beistle online, I discovered some interesting history: that since 1900, Beistle became "a pioneer in honey combed tissue decorations creating a variety of products including bells, balls, toys and Easter bunny nests. Over time the Beistle Company expanded its catalog to cover all the holidays from Christmas, Valentine’s Day, Easter, and Thanksgiving. But the first seasonal decorations added to the catalog were Halloween. Over 1000 different designs and decorations have been added since 1921 ranging from witches, black cats, bats, owls, spiders and jack o lanterns. The company produced many popular die cut Halloween paper items and helped popularize Halloween decoration in America. The company’s early success was credited to selling inexpensive premade decorations that customers could readily buy from the store."

Original die cut decorations and tissue honeycombs are quite collectible; so you can't imagine my absolute delight at what I found in a big bag of miscellaneous Halloween stuff at Value Village yesterday for $ 2.99.

My cat!!!

Oh.My.Gosh.

Perfect, marked and unpunched. There's one on Etsy for $75 (damaged), one on eBay for $43. 11" long and marked. (As always, click on my photos to biggify)


11" tall Scarecrow with honeycomb haystack! UNUSED and marked!


There's a creased one listed on Etsy for $17. There's not the slightest crease on mine...

Carefully folded open as the slot for the tab isn't even punched out

10" tall unpunched Pumpkin! These simple large diecuts are currently fetching about $10 each.


12" tall unpunched Scarecrow with an adorable mouse in his hat (matches the honeycomb above). Sadly this one has a tear on the right side...


Closeup of maker's mark:


Creepy 11" tall skull... a few tears on the top and bottom though.


Large 15" tall Witch. Unfortunately, because this was the largest item in the bag, the top of the plastic where they stapled it shut caused a few bends in her hat:


Holy crapoly... the 22" tall Beistle skeleton... perfect condition!


I really couldn't believe my luck. I didn't even realize what was in the bag until I got it opened at home... all I saw through the plastic at the store was the honeycomb of one of these (not Beistel, but perfect unused condition still in their original bags). These and the Scarecrows will be great for Thanksgiving!


All the vintage Beistel diecuts were sandwiched between an unused Pumpkin Master's kit (I broke a few of my well-used cutting tools last year, so the two that came with the design book were definitely needed) a plush Halloween black cat toy, some cookie cutters, three sets of unused treat bags (which I use every year) and some fake witch's nails which will be sent back to Goowill / Value Village in my donation pile.

Awesome.

Sharing with:



The Thrifty Groove

and Laura, at Inspired Sunday Blog

28 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! It is too weird to be talking about Halloween when it is sweltering hot...

      Delete
  2. Great stuff! I love paper honeycomb decorations; I have a few for Halloween and Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Be sure to post about them when the time comes; I love them too and love seeing other's collections.

      Delete
  3. Glad you got lucky. I love all my old Halloween stuff and am always thrilled to find more. Harder and harder to find all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your collections just amaze me... I was incredibly lucky - I never in my wildest dreams would have thought I'd discover those at "The Village". I think they are one of my top Best Thrift Store Finds Ever.

      Delete
  4. You really were in the right place at the right time!! Lucky!,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure was! I really couldn't believe my luck. Thank you for popping by!

      Delete
  5. Wow!! You found some really awesome vintage Fall/Halloween items! Love the cat! Thanks for sharing at TTF this week.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda, and thank YOU for hosting TTF! I always love it when I can play along.

      Delete
  6. You really hit the jackpot! Wish we had a Value Village, I always hear about the great treasures people find there. I know whose house to look for on Halloween this year. Very cool!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is the best thing I have found there... it really is hit and miss; but the fun is in the hunt! Thank you Patti!

      Delete
  7. Maureen,
    What great goodies you have there!!
    My Mom used to have some of them and they were thrown out!!
    Thanks so much for stopping by and thanks for linking up to Laura's party. i know she is thrilled!!

    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I guess that's why the surviving ones are so rare; being paper, they would be tossed after a few years of being taped up. Looks like some of these were never ever used. And you are welcome; I love finding new bloggers and parties to join in on! (thanks to you!)

      Delete
  8. You was really lucky Maureen, oh my! so much in that bag, that for so little money- what a collection, of special and old goodies.
    xo, Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I AM lucky, Dorthe! Yes, all that for $2.99... even though it is early to be thinking about Halloween, it was a bargain for sure!

      Delete
  9. I LOVE your great find (a little bit jealous)! The cat is my favorite. Thank you for linking up with Sunday View. I just became a follower and would love for you to follow me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the cat as well... had been eyeing one on eBay for some time and never, ever thought I would find one locally. I think I did add myself to your Followers already, but if not, will do so now! Thank you for the Sunday View party!

      Delete
  10. This is my 1st visit to your site. I'm so glad you linked up to Inspired Sunday@ Sunday View. I'm your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and welcome Susan! Thank you so much!

      Delete
  11. Wow. When I scrolled down to the first picture, my heart skipped a beat! We had the cat and the scarecrow all my childhood. and I think a less scary skull and witch than these. ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh cool! Yeah, the skull and witch could scare small children, couldn't they? I prefer the cat... Welcome and thank you!

      Delete
  12. Seriously?!?! Okay confess, you knocked someone over the head for these right? Or maybe you went door to door and threatened to have one of the cats eat their flowers??! Because surely no one is THAT lucky!?! Well maybe you are. WOW! ConCATulations!!! Enjoy!

    P.S. We love Halloween too!!!

    Purrs,

    Romeo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Romeo (and her)! Nope, no knocking of heads, or threatening visits required... yes, I was THAT lucky! Thank you :)

      Delete
  13. Wow, what a score! Now you're ready for Halloween in July. I had no idea these were so expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Yeah, I really thought it was too early to be looking at Halloween, but it did turn out to be good that I did! (I didn't think they were so pricey either - at least when not found at a thrift store!)

      Delete
  14. Score! What great finds!!! I love vintage holiday things!

    Enjoy your weekend!
    Leann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leann! I do love Halloween and am so happy to have found some vintage items for this year.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know you were by. I appreciate and read with delight each and every comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...