Friday, November 15, 2013

Catching Up

What is it about short weeks that make them seem longer than a normal week? Maybe it's because we only have 4 days to squeeze in 5 day's worth of work... in any case, I was way too tired the past few days to make any progress on my latest project. And when I'm tired, I know I must not even try to be creative; or I'll screw it up.

So hopefully tomorrow I will be able to put the finishing touches on it. In the meantime, it's a great time to catch up on some things I haven't shared previously.

First up, an amazing gift sent to me from a good blogger buddy, Kathy at Kluless. She came across this incredible buffalo plaque during one of her shopping ventures in her hometown of Portland, Oregon. It's inscribed "Canada's National Parks 1937". I have no idea what it is from, but when I asked if she would sell it, she popped it in the mail back to Canada and gifted it to lucky me - along with a lovely doily and vintage ephemera! How awesome is she? It is really so very cool and now is front and center on my Studio desk. I absolutely love it!


Daughter and I will be going to our annual Fall Antique Show this weekend, which reminded me that on our last antiquing trip, I found a third member to my Putz sheep family. In 2012, I discovered the Momma sheep for a mere $10 at a local shop. Then a few months back I found the girl lambie (see the pink collar?) at an Antique Mall downtown. Well, that last time we went antiquing, I went back to the very same dealer in the Mall and there sat the "brother lambie" (blue collar!). I guess all I need now is the Daddy ram ;) But they make a cute wooly family, no?


Daughter does very well antiquing on her own too... when she was down in the States, she brought me back this incredible antique silver mouse pin cushion! What a great accompaniment to my squirrel! Am I lucky or what? It is beautifully detailed and very old - perfect for my sewing shelf. So very awesome.


Speaking of mice, back in October I gave myself a birthday gift ;) A collectibles shop near work had just opened and during lunch on my birthday I decided to take a walk and check out what they had to offer. Most things were way too expensive, but when I spotted this guy for a reasonable price I just knew I had to bring him home. He reminds me of the old cartoons I loved (and still love) to watch... but so far I haven't been able to find out exactly WHO he is... if anyone knows, please share!


He was covered in dirt and dust, hidden in the back of a bottom shelf in a crowded barrister's cabinet. I carefully gave him a cleanup with a warm wet Q-Tip to make him shine. He's is perfect condition!


Who could resist that face? Not moi.


Some wonderful additions to my Studio's treasure trove.

Maybe on Sunday, I'll find a couple more ;)


15 comments:

  1. Fun finds, but no clue who the darling little fellow is..good rescue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laurie! You know I always think of you when I see something like this... I know it is just your style!

      Delete
  2. Yes, you are blessed with good friends and daughter. Lovely goodies! The little mouse you discovered is perfect and adorable, hope you find out more about him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found one other similar to him on Etsy; but that one had a bow tie! It too was Made In Japan... hmm. Thanks for stopping by Lori!

      Delete
  3. So glad the buffalo plaque found a happy home with you and appreciate your kind words. Isn't it funny how things can have a way of making their way back to where they belong!
    That mouse is adorable but afraid I don't recognize it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how I love the buffalo! It is wonderful that it found its way to someone like you with a generous heart... I will always think of you whenever I look at it! Thank you again, dear friend.

      Delete
  4. Great finds and I LOVE the buffalo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mickie! Lucky I have a friend like Kathy who uncovered him!

      Delete
  5. Is that mouse a figurine or a cookie jar? LOVE that buffalo! Great find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a figurine from Japan.

      And I can't take credit for uncovering the buffalo - Kathy at Kluless is the discoverer of that gem - I am just the lucky recipient!

      Delete
  6. He's adorable, wish I had more info to offer you though. Kathy finds the best things during her junking adventures, it was so thoughtful of her to send that to you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy does, doesn't she? What is is about Portland and all the vintage goodies there? Between her and Magpie Ethel, I am in awe of what they seem to uncover. And yes, she is a very sweet person alright!

      Delete
  7. Maureen, he is perfect, what a great addition to your collection❤️

    ReplyDelete
  8. I meant to add how sweet it was of your daughter to bring you home such a great piece, and the great lamb finds..well done! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dagmar! Yes, I am very lucky to have such a sweet daughter who knows me very well - what a great time we have antiquing together!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know you were by. I appreciate and read with delight each and every comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...