Saturday, April 13, 2013

Kooky For Cutters

While decorating my kitchen with a few antiques and vintage items I already had on hand ("shopping my home" as they say), I came across some metal cookie cutters I have picked up over the years at antique and thrift shops. Then I remembered I had even more sitting in my closet... ones I take out when it's time to make the annual Christmas shortbread.

It wasn't until I gathered them all together that I realized what a collection I had of old and new cutters.

I have round ones:

7 Scalloped rounds, 1 smooth round and 1 scalloped oval

Hearts and rectangles:

2 hearts, 3 long scalloped rectangles and 1 small scalloped rectangle

Stars of all sizes:

2 four-point stars, 1 scalloped, a medium and a small five point stars

Of course Christmas shapes:

2 Gingerbread men, holly leaf, bell, candy cane (my only copper cutter), 1 small & 2 large Christmas trees and Santa

And some of my favorites; various animals:

2 Reindeer, a cat, pig, swan, bird, chicken, Scottie dog and horse

Mixed in with the cutters were these...  they're staying in my studio though, as they'll make great push molds using Sculpey. The holiday ones are newer, but the scalloped shapes are older.


And the oldest of the bunch are these delightful animal shapes. Marked Hong Kong, I have a bear, rooster, rabbit, pelican, lamb and cat.


There's only one cookie cutter that has me stumped though:


I've been staring at it. I've been flipping it over, moving it around every which way and I still can't figure it out...

Anyone have an idea what this could be?  It's driving me Kooky!

Sharing over at Funky Junk's!


And with Angie at Knick of Time!


16 comments:

  1. Hi Maureen, we must be related, I have a ton of old cookie cutters as well..love your collection..could that be a Santa with a pack on his back? xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! Perhaps it IS Santa... but I must say, it would take a lot of icing, I think, to make him recognizable!

      Delete
  2. Yes I was also going to say the profile of a Santa with a pack on his back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man, you guys have better eyes than I do... I have a Santa cutter, but didn't even think that this was him too!

      Delete
  3. I am no help with the mystery cutter. I do like a collection tho!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I know YOU are the ultimate collector! Today I was at an Antique Mall and I don't know how many times I spotted something and told daughter "Laurie would love this!"

      Delete
  4. I love your collection! I have quite a bit tucked away too, just waiting to be used and displayed. I think I have about three of your mystery shape, and I also believe it's Santa with his sack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah triplet Santas! Well, I think I need to make some cookies and test this theory out! But maybe I'll wait for Winter to do that... weird having Christmas cookies in April (even though it DID snow again today!)

      Delete
  5. I just bought some "new" old cookie cutters at an estate sale today and got some of the tiniest I have ever seen. Don't know if they are real or maybe a child's toy. Fun collection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw those! Too cute! I am going to use my small ones for Sculpey casting... I will just have to experiment with a release agent first. Never tried clay in those metal molds before.

      Delete
  6. Love your collection! The last one does indeed look like either a Santa - or possibly a Christmas tree?
    Irene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I guess it IS Santa... looks like I was smart to ask my readers. I never would have guessed it myself!

      Delete
  7. What a fun collection. I'm turning my head every direction and can't figure this one out. Hmm, maybe it got a little bent out of shape somewhere along the way:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! That is what I thought! I shall have to wait until December to confirm that it is, in fact, Santa... he will need a lot of icing I think. Yum!

      Delete
  8. I love me some cookie cutters! My baba's special "heart" produced so many wonderful cookies and memories that people actually FOUGHT over it when she passed. A bit ridiculous..and yet, had you known my baba, maybe not so much:)
    Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, nice memory, but too bad it was the object of a family squabble! Thanks Dez!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know you were by. I appreciate and read with delight each and every comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...