Monday, October 7, 2013

Black Cat Carnival - Part III

On to the last item I created for my Black Cat Carnival. If you missed reading the first two posts, here are direct links:

Black Cat Carnival - Part I

Black Cat Carnival - Part II

This is the largest piece in my Carnival - a Swing Carousel. I really didn't know I was going to create it until I spotted this at Goodwill one day:

I took the pic after removing the glass and cardboard from each photo frame
I thought that if I could only get those frames off without damaging it too much, this spinning photo frame display would be the perfect start to my carousel. So I slapped down a whole $3 and took a chance. Much to my delight, the frames actually snapped right off when I bent them back and forth a few times - awesome!

Without the frames to hold them apart, both sets of five spokes slid down on top of each other. I asked hubby to do his magic, and he was able to saw the top knob off perfectly (I had hoped it was just screwed on, but no such luck). I slid the spokes off, glued a stopper near the top of the central post, glued both sets of spokes together and viola, they spun in unison - 10 spokes ready for swings!

Goodwill came through again when I picked up this M&M's candy tin for a whole 50 cents. The perfect shape, I simply used my silver tape to cover the top.


Silver brads were cut down and glued to represent rivets. Some glittered swirl brads were also added to decorate the top.


The decorative black edge was created from cardstock using a Martha Stewart punch. Silver brads and chain finished it off. I glued a clock gear under the knob and attached it to the top with E6000 glue. On the underside of this part, I glued a large nut so when it was placed over the center pole, it rotates independent of the spokes.


Making the swings was purely a hit-and-miss adventure... I thought I could fit 10 swings in, one on each spoke. So what did I do? Yep. I made ten seats. I punched out twenty "arms" (again, a Martha Stewart punch, folded in half to double it up). I counted out 80 rivets - 8 per seat to secure the chains. I designed the seats and cut out 10 of each, scoring and punching the backs for a decorative touch. I counted out 60 jump rings to attach the chains to the chairs and the spokes.


A production line was created at every step...  brads were painted and inked. Thirty gears were chosen to decorate the back of each swing and some needed to be painted and inked in black and silver. Pieces were lined up for assembly. I even made ten padded seats for each one... a piece of cardboard covered with fiberfill and cloth, glued together and two brads poked through for an upholstered look.


And then as I hung the first two swings it finally occurred to me...

It was way too cramped and I could only use half of them! Aw Crap!

Oh well, I placed the swings on every other spoke and added some lanterns onto the others.


Filigreed bead caps were glued to the spoke ends to finish them off.

Then I had to decide what the heck to do with the base. I had visions of either covering the three "legs" with cloth, or cardboard... but then I simply cut two pieces of chipboard in half circles, covered them with the silver foil tape, used my piercing tool to create pilot holes and inserted black brads for rivets. I used my Cuttlebug and Spellbinders die to create the center design around the pole. I also used the bottom half of the black cardstock decor I placed on the top for a fence of sorts around the base. I also finished off the edge of the base with more silver chain, just like the top.


Three black cats (okay they weren't black before I painted them and added Gold Stickles for eyes that glow when photographed) stand guard on the base. Oh and I added a pair of wings to the center pole too... matching it up with the Steampunk Airship.


That was a fun transformation!



So I guess that's it for now... until I figure out what to add next.

Well, at least I have five seats ready and waiting. :P




33 comments:

  1. You are so totally gonna win that challenge/giveaway! And if you don't, I'll be shocked! When do you have to enter by?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you JoJo... don't know how a winner is chosen, probably just a random draw. But it was fun to make and I am looking forward to adding more to it when I can. The entries for one challenge had to be in by the 15th, the other contest ends on Halloween I believe.

      Delete
  2. how totally creative you are, what a wonderful transformation you have created! Well done and good luck!
    Xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dagmar! I have no idea how many people will be participating... it will be neat to see everyone's take on the event!

      Delete
  3. What a brainstorm! Your creativity continues to amaze and delight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) So glad you like it Kathy... especially since you are in to Steampunk too! Thank you!

      Delete
  4. Maureen you are AMAZING!!!. What a wonderful masterpiece. I will enjoy following you and see what else you create. How wonderful. and thanks for sharing. Karen.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU Karen, for visiting and leaving such nice comments! You are too kind.

      Delete
  5. I love your ingenious use of supplies! I could have sworn your paper seats were metal, just made like that, when I first saw your swing. It's so awesome! Thanks for explaining it all so we can fully appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vic! I love yours as well - so much fun to participate in Laura's Challenges.

      Delete
  6. oh wowwwww!! I'm speechless. It' s one of the best creation I have ever seen! ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fantastic project! I love how you upcycled so many things. The Steampunk theme is really carried out wonderfully through all the pieces. Thanks especially for all the photographs of your process.,, April

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love Steampunk and finding trinkets to re-use. I hope to do more! Thank you April!

      Delete
  8. You are a genius! As an avid Goodwill shopper too, I look for things I can alter and now you've given me another idea! This is great for your circus! Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I hope you find something to make one too... Goodwill can sometimes be quite inspiring!

      Delete
  9. WOW! LOVE how you did the light bulb balloon, and Awesome Ticket Engine, and your swing carousel too. Just Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How about using your extra seats and put them in a hearse (kinda like a twisted hayride!) or make a train pulled by a spooky vehicle for a funeral train?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Great ideas! I hope I have time this year to add to it... otherwise, on to some Christmas crafts!

      Delete
  11. Oh My Stars! I am blown away by this. I haven't seen the first 2 posts, so I'm going to back-track to see them now. I came here from Laura Carson's blog, and absolutely want to follow your blog, too. I just can't come up with the words to convey how fabulous this is. And it's SteamPunk! I may swoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Holly, I am so glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  12. I bought one of those photo things a couple of years ago. I just knew I could turn it into some cool thing someday!!! Off I go to play! thanx so much.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Let me know if you do - I would LOVE to see it!

      Delete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG Maureen just how awesome is your black cat carnival, all those amazing details! Love the caroussel!! Great idea and fantastic steampunk piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Carola, thank you. I adore your work, so it means a lot coming from an artist like you!

      Delete
  15. Seriously?!?! I knew you were talented but dang, this goes way beyond that!!!! And a black cat carnival?! YES! And steampunk?!?! Another YES!!! These are wonderful!!!!! And the details.....well let's just say that I need to go get a rabies shot...... WOW!

    "her" and Romeo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Romeo, (and "her) you are both so sweet, thank you. Of course I had to have cats in there... glad I have feline approval!

      Delete
  16. wooooooow! This is amazing! What a gorgeous project, such a lot of lovely details - fantastic! I also like your way of recycling *gg*
    hugs serafeena

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know you were by. I appreciate and read with delight each and every comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...