Monday, January 13, 2014

Iris / Magic Lens Card

My mom's birthday is today, so I wanted to make something very special for her - a card style that I had never attempted before. Again, Anne of Anne's Paper Creations came to the rescue with her Magic Lens YouTube video card tutorial. She used Spellbinder's Scalloped and Regular Hearts on her card; I chose the Spellbinder's Floral Ovals and Classic Ovals Large for my version.


The cardstock paper is from Recollections (Michael's) inked with Tim Holtz' beautiful Victorian Velvet Distress Ink. The patterned paper is Graphic 45's Sweet Sentiments (8 x 8 pad).


Since my ovals were a completely different size and shape than the hearts in her tutorial, I had to rework the measurements and changed the way I mounted the interior paper - I cut slots rather than cut out each side. When I closed my iris, I accidentally tucked in the top and bottom of the iris in opposite directions (one inside and one outside the other side flaps) and it ended up making a cool "S" shape when it closed. So I inked the edges to make it stand out.


I stamped the sentiment on patterned paper (the cutout from the front frame) so it would be revealed when the card is opened. I also adhered a ring of tiny pearls around the sentiment frame. Just a couple of fussy cuts dressed up the interior a bit; and instead of my usual habit of outlining the fussy cuts with my black Copic Multiliner, this time I wanted a softer look so I cut down a Q-Tip, ran it over my Victorian Velvet Distress Ink pad and coloured in the white cut edge of the flowers.


The ribbon is run through piece of cardstock attached to the back of the card, so it can hold it shut with a bow (Anne used magnets for her closure). The roses on the front are from Wild Orchid Crafts and the leaves are by Memory Box (Tender Leaves die), which I coloured with Peeled Paint and Bundled Sage Distress inks. They are all bundled atop some cheesecloth dyed with Victorian Velvet Distress Ink and attached with Glossy Accents.


Here is a video showing the iris mechanism and how I made the envelope for this 6 x 6 card.



Thank you again Anne, for another great inspirational video!


18 comments:

  1. Your card is gorgeous Maureen. Happy birthday to your mom, she's going to love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can imagine your other was just thrilled to receive it! Thank you for sharing another great video.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy... and am so glad you are enjoying the videos; they are fun to do so I hope to do lots more!

      Delete
  3. That's so beautiful. I love all the colours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you so much and thanks for stopping by my blog!

      Delete
  5. How very beautiful Maureen, I`m sure your mother loved her gorgeous card, so romantis and so lovely. Congratulations with your mom.
    xo, Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dorthe... it's always such fun to do a really feminine card and something special for a mother. I was glad to have come across Anne's tutorial - it was just what I needed!

      Delete
  6. Such a beautiful card, sure your mom enjoyed. Lovely work and a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much MIckie, so kind of you to stop by!

      Delete
  7. This is a beautiful card. You mother will treasure it, I'm sure. I noticed the little brown ceramic bunny (the one scratching his cheek) in the background of the video. I have the same bunny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Holly! Awesome! Yes, that is a fairly new (to me, that is) set of 4 ceramic bunnies I got at the fall Antique Show. I just love them... they are Beswicks from England and are too cute!

      Delete
  8. Your videos are really great! Well done again!
    Xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Dagmar... I am so glad to hear that people are actually WATCHING my videos! I really was nervous deciding whether to start doing them...

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know you were by. I appreciate and read with delight each and every comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...