Sunday, January 5, 2014

Tim Holtz 12 Tags of 2014 - January

A close up of my version of the January tag

For many years, Tim Holtz has inspired his readers with monthly tutorials / challenges for creating beautiful tags... not only are they fun to make, it's a great way to try out some different techniques. Since it's a new year, I have decided to step out from the sidelines and finally participate.


When I saw his January tag, I knew I could come up with something similar, as I already had many of the supplies he used... especially when I was thrilled to discover my order from Simon Says Stamp arrived on Friday with Tim's Weathered Clock die and matching Layering Stencil (how the heck did I know I would need these when I ordered them in mid-December???).


So instead of using a pocket watch die cut as he did, I cut out a chipboard clock face and hands -  painting both with Distress Pewter Stain and Black Soot ink. It was very cool using Grungeboard for the first time; layering with some foil tape then running it through my Cuttlebug to emboss with his Sizzix Gears set. I used my Spellbinders die to cut it into a semi-circle and rubbed black paint into it to highlight the design. Gears were attached as Tim had, then I layered it under the Weathered Clock chipboard piece (adhering it with Glossy Accents) after securing the clock hands with a screwhead brad.


The tag itself was cut from Tim's "Tag and Bookplates" die - a new acquisition from The Scrapbook Cottage (using a Christmas gift certificate from hubby!). This will be perfect to have so I can cut tags from any colour cardstock I wish. The background was created just as Tim had shown; using Distress Stains and inks and my new stencil. I also had the rub ons for the numbers; sanding them down and inking the edge of the tag with more Black Soot Distress Ink. A few splatters of black paint and the background was complete.


I also had his "Journaling Tickets" (a gift from daughter!) and stamped it with just a portion of one of his sayings; using a Post-It Note to block off what I didn't want to show.


Some painted gears were added on a chain and the seam binding was crumpled up with my wet inky-black hands for a cool effect. I also added two sayings on small flags that reflect my feelings on this very first tag I have attempted in his series: "it's time" and "time to create".

What a lot of fun - I do hope this will be the first of my trying all 12 tags in his series this year!

42 comments:

  1. Nice job! I'm still unearthing all my altered art supplies as I attempt to clean and organize my craft room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JoJo! Good luck with the cleanup - at least with all your snow, you can spend time indoors crafting! (That's what I love about winter ;) )

      Delete
  2. What a delicious stack of supplies you showed! Love what you did with the tag.Yes, the tag challenge would be good. I might have a go this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do! It was quite fun figuring out what to do; yes, I am lucky to have a lot of Tim's stuff, but not all - so improvising is a challenge. Thank you so much!

      Delete
  3. I wouldn't know where to begin, lol. Wow, you have enough supplies to make anything you set your mind on. Looking forward to seeing the rest of your creations in this series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always wanted to participate, this year I finally got off my butt and committed... it was good timing that I just happened to have most of the supplies. I am looking forward to seeing what he comes up with for us to do too!

      Delete
  4. Okay, I wrote down Grungeboard and Cuttlebug and Sizzix Gears... I know nothing about any of this stuff and don't know where to begin to learn about it all. Love, love your results!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D Thank you Kathy!

      The best way to learn is to go to his blog and watch the videos - or you can search for Tim Holtz in YouTube; you'll find a lot of videos people have taken of him demonstrating at hobby shows and the like. I also have his two books (book 3 is coming out this year!) that helped a lot. Am also considering taking his Creative Chemistry online classes - I really enjoy his style.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you Fredrikke! So much fun creating it.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful Grunge Tag Maureen. Love the gears on chains. Karen.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! Love the two you did as well... so we're both Tim newbies this year, eh? This will be fun to see what each of us does every month!!

      Delete
  7. Great tags, always love visiting your site and see what wonderful and eye catching items you have created!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, that is so kind of you to say, thank you Hester!

      Delete
  8. What a fun project.. I have heard of the Tim Holtz tag project and now I need to head over to The Scrapbook Cottage. That is a new one on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been admiring his tags for quite some time and I always meant to jump in... so glad to start the new year with a new fun commitment!

      Delete
  9. Very nice job! I like your imagination ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  10. CONGRATULATIONS Maureen!!!!! Karen.x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your tag and how fun that you had just gotten all the right supplies to complete it! Nothing like a box of goodies with immediate purpose! Congrats on your first tag and your first win! Cathy. www.creatinginacottage.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure was lucky; perfect timing by Tim! Thank you so much, what a thrill!

      Delete
  12. Amazing tag and wonderful blog post. I'm so glad you decided to make the January tag. I have also committed to making each of the 12 tags this year, a first for me. I took the CC101 class and loved it I'm still working on CC102. One of the many wonderful things about Tim's online class is that you can work at your own pace and always go back and retake it. Congrats on being a January winner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I want to take those classes too... thank you very much and welcome!

      Delete
  13. This is absolutely awesome! I adore the gear on the chain at the top of the tag and your clock is just fantastic. Congrats your January win Maureen!! -- Mary Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary Elizabeth! Welcome and thanks for your very kind comment.

      Delete
  14. Great tag! And you used one of my favorite sayings! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on being a winner - your tag is wonderful.
    xxx Hazel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Hazel, very kind of you to stop by!

      Delete
  16. Congratulations! Your work is beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love everything about your tag. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So kind of you to say Christy, thank you so much!

      Delete
  18. Wonderful tag!! Congrats on being a winner!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anna! I had to read the list three times before I believed it was really me!

      Delete
  19. Congrats on being a winner, great tag.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats Maureen

    Great tag

    Give us a call and let us know when you can get over to our place

    J and S

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations on your win, cool tag! Maddy x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your Tag is Beautiful! I am a Huge Tim Holtz Fan and have a bounty of his Line... what a pleasure it was last year to bump into him at some Favorite Shops, he is so Gracious and Sweet, he even obliged to have his photo taken with us... we were SO like Tim Holtz Groupies! *LOL*

    Blessings from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know you were by. I appreciate and read with delight each and every comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...