Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Tim Holtz Tags of 2014 - May


Time again to do my monthly tag for Tim Holtz' 12 Tags of 2014!  This month Tim challenged us to get out some of those embellishments we have collected in a “creative composition” assignment. So I pulled together a bunch of supplies to chose from - some I used, some I didn't... and a couple were new goodies I got online just for this project. One of those is Tim's new ShadowPress Debossing Folder ("Authentic"). This set of six folders has a variety of sentiments that will be great to use on cards! I also finally got a proper set of Ink Blending Tools - the new round shape makes it so easy to apply inks; I got a set of 20 refills so I have a pad for each ink colour in my collection.


I started out by cutting out two tags using the Tag and Bookplates Bigz die (I make a duplicate tag each month for my local scrapbook store). Since they tend to warp after being wet, I glue them to chipboard that has also been cut with the same die.

I added both the Antique Linen and Barn Door Distress Paints to my craftsheet, added a spritz of water with the Mini Mister and ran the tags through it to marble the paper. Water was also shaken over the top for more "water stain" effect.


After drying, I inked the edges with Vintage Photo and Walnut Stain Distress Ink and added reinforcements to the tag holes (also from the same die set). I used a Vintage Photo Distress Marker for the inside edge of the hole.

I ran some chipboard with the "Beautiful" folder through my Cuttlebug, cut it to size and inked the edges and lightly swiped the ink over the top, making the debossed word stand out more.


After choosing the elements to add, I cut out chipboard mats for each one and arranged them on the tag. Then I glued background paper from Tim's Crowded Attic pad, sanding and inking each one as Tim instructed.


The bird is from the Bird and Branch die, the oval and arrow are Industrious Stickers (Borders and Frames & Trims sets), Wishbone, Philosophy Tag and Tag Labels (the pen nib) were all added with Glossy Accents.


The final step was adding a strip of Red and Cream Trimmings ribbon through the tag hole.


I really love how the layers look; especially the ruler image - looks like a real vintage ruler piece!


Lots of fun as usual, to play along with Tim's artistic challenges. Can't wait to see what he has in store for us in June!


7 comments:

  1. Very pretty and vintage looking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love learning about all the steps you take to make it so perfect. Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy! I hope I give others a bit of inspiration too... even if you don't do a tag, all of these techniques can be used in journals, cards and other projects.

      Delete
  3. Great tag Maureen! Very nice trinkets and background. Can I ask where you got the ruler from? Love it! I agree it does look real. Thanks so much for your visit and kind comments. Karen.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The ruler was just an image cut out from Tim's Crowded Attic paper pad. I glued it to a chipboard piece, sanded and inked the edges them too. Came out looking just like a piece of an old ruler!

      I love your projects; so glad to finally catch up on everyone!

      Delete
  4. Another gorgeous tag, totally awesome!
    Xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know you were by. I appreciate and read with delight each and every comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...