Wednesday, June 4, 2014

It's Like Wild Kingdom Out There

I have to share a non-artsy/craftsy subject with you today.

Our bedroom windows face a very large back yard where we planted a forest of trees 30 years ago. Other than mowing a few times a year, we leave it pretty much natural. Because of this, we seem to be the place to hang out for all sorts of wildlife (which I love).

I've written about a few of these encounters (here and on previous blogs linked below).

Most notably, we've had visits from


A huge Snapping Turtle we helped find its way back to the river






A Merlin Falcon perched just outside my window



Our resident bunnies who live under our deck
(and dine on my marigolds)



Red squirrels that entertain



A Fledgling Robin that thought I was it's mother...


Various geese, ducks, deer and even a slow muskrat have also wandered through.

Last week I observed yet another member of the Wild Kingdom had arrived for a short stay.


A Red Fox! I had to run for my camera.

Just like an episode of Wild Kingdom, it didn't take long for the action to begin. After a few minutes of sitting peacefully, the Fox spied a rabbit scurrying from it's hiding spot nearby.

The chase was on. The bunny darted left and right with the fox in full pursuit, matching each zig and zag until they both arrived at our deck, under which the bunny found safety. The Fox padded to and fro on our patio, mere feet away from me inside, ears pricked up by the sound of my clicking camera.

But the hunt wasn't over. Probably scared from the first bunny's abrupt arrival, the Fox spotted another rabbit dart out from under the other side of the deck. A few leaps and bounds later and it was all over. The Red Fox had dinner.


I felt awful for the poor bunny... but then I looked closely at the Fox. It was so terribly thin and matted; the result of the long, hard winter. I realized it must have been so hungry and desperate to venture this far from it's usual hunting grounds to find sustenance in a city suburb.

So as the Fox lopped away carrying it's precious treasure, I felt privileged to have witnessed the true Circle Of Life.

Right there in my own backyard.


20 comments:

  1. The circle of life..hunger changes everything doesn't it! Well captured!
    Xox
    Dagmar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dagmar! Yes it does... I was lucky to be in the right place at the right time to see it all play out!

      Delete
  2. wow- what an exciting yard you have! Although I was rooting for the bunny this time- We had a giant turtle appear by our deck a while back - It was just sitting there so tried to feed it some lettuce - after online research I discovered it was a snapping turtle and that hand feeding it was probably not a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... snappers can take a finger off no trouble! Glad you weren't injured. The one that wandered by here was huge - and quick (snapping that is...)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the wonderful post! You don't ever need to visit the zoo with that in your backyard. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh! Yeah... for being in the city, we sure attract the wildlife!

      Delete
  4. Wow. What an interesting back yard you have....wildlife safari from your window!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! You never know what is going to turn up next. The other day we had a duck couple waddling about .. so cute the way they stayed together (male and female!)

      Delete
  5. I love the pictures! I love the normal stuff too, but I'm the same way about seeing wildlife in our yard. The baby robin is so cute >w<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that Robin WAS cute! I had to make sure he didn't hop inside our house!

      Delete
  6. That is so cool that you were able to witness that. Poor bunny but, yes. it is the way of the world and lucky fox to have found something to sustain him! I have never seen a real fox in my whole life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I felt so bad for the bunny, but I also realized that it's not up to me to interfere either... I had never seen a fox so close up.

      Delete
  7. Poor bunny. :( Nature's so brutal. I don't like watching wildlife shows b/c of the killing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either. I turn away... which I also did when the fox caught its meal. Afterwards is when I snapped the photo.

      Delete
  8. Amazing photos Maureen. I too love watching wildlife, more at play than on a mission to catch a meal. Like you say that is the way of the wild. I wish we had squirrels here they look so cute. Karen,x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh our squirrels are so much fun to watch. They run up and down the outside of the house, along our fence and the other day they were playing in some empty pots on my deck. I wasn't quick enough to capture THAT.

      Delete
  9. You sure have your share of wild critters stopping in for a visit, good thing you keep your camera close by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I was amazed I was able to capture the fox....poor hubby was in the shower and missed the whole thing.

      Delete
  10. What a treat to live so close to the beauties of nature. You are able to capture them so well! That turtle looks fierce!

    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh he was! Definitely not the petting type.... those claws were menacing!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know you were by. I appreciate and read with delight each and every comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...