Saturday, April 14, 2012

Commemorating Titanic

My second attempt at model building... about five years ago, I won a model of The Jolly Roger (you can read more about that here). I am sure a lot of men will fondly remember this hobby from their youth, but being a girl, this is something I never tried when I was young. Now I realize that because I love to paint and sculpt, I really wish I had.

Hubby did many models... so back in 1987 (two years after Robert Ballard found the wreck), he began a model of the Titanic. Sadly, he only got as far as painting and gluing the 2 pieces of hull and stand together. I think he got frustrated because he realized he painted it incorrectly... and gave up. I bought him a second new model to start over, but he never even opened it. For 25 years, both boxes collected dust.

Until this week, with all the commemorative specials I remembered our own little Titanic, forgotten in the abyss that is his workbench in the basement. I pulled it out and was determined to finally finish it in time for today's 100th anniversary.


And I did it! (Did you notice that whilst I worked, I was kept hydrated with beverages from my Second Class White Star Line teacup?) I completed my own piece of Titanic history, which will take a place of honor in my studio.

My fascination with Titanic has been lifelong; in 2009 daughter and I attended the Artifact Exhibition in Minneapolis, and in 2011 I took my mother, father, daughter and hubby when it came to Winnipeg. It was an incredibly moving experience; I even have an authentic piece of Titanic coal among my many Titanic "artifacts".


Making the model was fun and very educational - I am sure when we watch the movie tonight, I will be especially concentrating on all the details I know so well now.


9 comments:

  1. Maureen,

    I have enjoyed all the Titanic specials on TV as well. Good Job!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maureen,

    I have enjoyed all the Titanic specials on TV as well. Good Job!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was quite a challenge, I'm sure. We've been watching the specials all week. Congratulations on completing your project.
    Sue Rapin
    Logan Lake, BC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Sylvia and Sue! It was such fun to do; I may even need to look at doing more models in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stampernanct@hotmail.comApril 16, 2012 at 10:40 AM

    Great job. You have to come to visit Halifax and see the exhibits here they are quite something. Artifacts and gravesites very moving. Nancy leb in ns

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nancy! Thank you. I would LOVE to visit Halifax! Sadly, the furthest east I have been is Quebec City. I watched a few shows about Halifax and their Titanic connections... so intriguing about the forensics and finally identifying the "unknown child" by DNA.

    One day I must get out there for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a beautiful piece! You really did it beautifully! Where did you buy the model?

    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Kasia! I bought this so long ago... in 1987 in fact! But I think it was just from Walmart (or Kmart back then). It is a Revell model kit; I think Toys R Us may also carry them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Maureen,
    Thanks so much for visiting and leaving such a nice comment. The toy you see in my photo with the tin sign is my son's and it's actually the toy that when a little lever thing is pulled back on the bottom, and then the ship placed in the water, the ship gradually breaks in two and sinks to the bottom. He spent many an hour playing with that thing. He does have that model like yours that he put together, I just didn't show that one. He has lots of books, movies and a Titanic game. I see you still have your saucer for the teacup...lucky! *winks*
    I see you have some of the dark blue dinner ware pieces too, how pretty. Thanks for bringing this post to my attention, I enjoyed it. Have a great rest of your day!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know you were by. I appreciate and read with delight each and every comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...