Saturday, March 22, 2014

Tim Holtz Tags of 2014 - March



Finally got around to making my March tag! This one I was looking forward to - so I could try out one of Tim's newest tools; the Distress Marker Spritzer. This month's techniques were "Smudge Stamping" and creating two tags; one in bolder colours and the second with the same, but more muted tones.

I gathered my supplies...


...and began with two die cut (using Tim's Tag & Bookplates Bigz Die) tags to which I added a torn strip of paper from his Crowded Attic paper stash. I had both the stamps and tissue tape with the Moths/Butterflies theme, so this is what I chose from his paper line too.

Smooching the Wild Honey Distress Ink pad onto my craftsheet, I spritzed it with water using the Mini Mister and swiped the tags through it; first with one and then adding more water to the sheet before swiping the second to make a lighter, softer background tone.


The stamp is from the French Memories set by Tim's Stamper's Anonymous line; stamped with both Black Soot and Walnut Stain Distress Ink. As he instructed, I dabbed the freshly-stamped images with foam to smudge them. I highlighted a few images with Broken China and Wild Honey Distress Markers, using a water brush to blend.


After inking the edges with more Walnut Distress Ink, I used Tim's new spritzer to spray Broken China from my Distress Marker through his Shattered Layering Stencil. What an easy way to get a great effect!

Next I prepared a saying from his Metal Word Bands Observations by painting with Picket Fence Distress Paint and Broken China Distress Ink. On the second tag, I used one of his rub ons over a chipboard piece, coloured with more Distress Inks.


I also used Broken China Distress Stain to colour the seam binding; scrunching it up and dabbing it into the watered-down ink on my craftsheet.


I added some Idea-ology Sketchbook Tissue Tape then attached the word band with Tim's Jute string and stapled the second tag's label and wrapped a lighter tone of jute around the bottom. Lastly, the seam binding was threaded through the top holes.


I must admit, these came out nicer than I expected! I love the combo of Wild Honey and Broken China colours, the soft smudge stamping effect and the layering of paper, inks and embellishments.


Are you participating in The Twelve Tags of 2014? If so, let me know in the comments so I can come visit you too!




13 comments:

  1. Love them. I really enjoy his items....but you have far surpassed my stamping!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks Ceekay... I love Tim's style; and have been really enjoying his monthly challenges.

      Delete
  2. Your vintage looking tags turned out very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous tags Maureen. Love the torn strip too. I must acquire some of Tim's papers for my stash. Karen.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh his paper stashes are so cool... many sizes for lots of uses. Thank you Karen; I love that we two are keeping up with his challenges together!

      Delete
  4. You think of everything and they turned out perfect. Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Kathy! It took me awhile to get to it, but I had to be sure to get it done before March is over!!! He will have another challenge up in a week or so!

      Delete
  5. Your stamps are gorgeous, Maureen,
    the butterfly ones are fantastic- such beautiful colours, and texture, and I love the effect of that spritzer !
    Beautiful art pieces.
    xo,Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Job Maureen - love your neat little pile of supplies ready to play! I can't believe I threw a spritzer that my son had for his felt tips away about a month before Tim bought his out!!!! Hugs Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool!! I don't think there's anything you can't make with your awesome stash of supplies and your amazing creativity.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know you were by. I appreciate and read with delight each and every comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...