Sunday, June 10, 2012

Mirror, Mirror

While at the thrift store last week, I was going through the picture & frames section and came across this classic "pub mirror":


Do you remember these? A few decades ago, anything popular from TV shows to sodas seemed to get the "mirror treatment"... and were usually prizes at local fairs / exhibitions. Even though I love the iconic image of Nipper who lived during Victorian times, I didn't think the mirror itself would really suit my studio decor. But I did love the detail of the inside scroll work, so I laid down my $ 3 and brought it home.

Now the decision: do I replace the mirror image with a paper one of Nipper, or of something else?

I perused the incredible selection at my favorite online graphics site The Graphics Fairy and came across this sweet vintage painting of birds. With a bit of adjustment to make the image fit the oval (I painted in the top, bottom and one side) I printed it out and coloured it in with sepia-toned Copic markers.



I think it looks so cute hung behind my old bird cages in my Victorian Studio!


Since she provided the super cute image of the birds, I am entering this project in Karen's Brag Monday for the very first time!




7 comments:

  1. Wow, what a vision you had. It turned out gorgeous....an awesome transformation!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks terrific! I love what you created and adore your cages! :)

    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Came over from Graphics Fairy. Too bad Nipper had to hit the dust, but I much prefer the bird image you made to fit the frame. I am obsessed with Karen's bird images and have used them numerous times. Great vignette with your cage collection.

    Distressed Donna Down Home

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also clicked over from Graphics Fairy. You did a beautiful job on this! Love the paint color choice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw thank you Betsy! As soon as I placed the image in the frame, I knew it would work...

    Thank you Kasia! I have five birdcages in all... and that's not including the two upstairs with REAL birds in them ;)

    Donna, thank you so much. I was going to put the picture on another wall, when I went DOH! and realized there was the perfect space behind the birdcages! Silly moi.

    Thank you Jane! I printed it off on a laser printer, so I used three different shades of Copics to give it more depth. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is SWEET! Much as we all love Nipper, your choice of birds suits the frame perfectly. Nice, nice job with the markers. Ah. . . I'm a little envious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Anon... as for my Copics, I only had room for 240 so I had to stop collecting them. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know you were by. I appreciate and read with delight each and every comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...