Thursday, January 10, 2013

Hidden Treasure

I know.

This is NOT Victorian. It's NOT my style at all (at least not since the 1970's...)


So why then did I drop $5 on this psychedelic sewing basket at Goodwill today?

Well, for what was INSIDE:


Yep, full of vintagy-goodies that will come in handy crafting. Buttons, wooden spools, seam binding, bias tape, zippers, snaps, elastic, thread, bold thick needles...


Just reading the price stickers was entertaining enough...

I wonder if that Woolco price tag with 9 10 77 means Sept. 10, 1977?

Yep. The 70's. When you REPAIRED the elastic on your underwear and PJs...

I wonder if I can still send "10 cts for 5 thread locks"...

Wiggle Eyes! Yes, Owls were all the rage back then

When I spotted that card of Canadian Olympic buttons from 1976, well....


I just KNEW I had to bring it all home.

Lots of fun going through it all. I will admit, whoever had this sewing basket kept it in great condition for 40 years.



So I'll just take everything out and give the basket back to Goodwill. I have some other bags of stuff I bought only for an item or two inside - the rest will be re-donated back.

Unless.... someone out there wants it? It's marked "Made in Japan" on the wooden bottom. I've also got 14 colourful handkerchiefs I was going to re-donate.



If there is any interest in something that screams 1970,  I'll run a free drawing for the basket and handkerchiefs later this month (I'll see if there is anything else I can throw in).

If not, then back to Goodwill it all goes.

Sharing with:

The Thrifty Groove


10 comments:

  1. That's a great find!!! And, it was so full....

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a terasure trove! The basket is eeek! But inside its stuffed! Congrats! :)

    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE that basket!!!!!!! If you wanna do a drawing for it, I'd love to enter. What an awesome find though. And those prices!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI! I am so glad I took some selfish hopping time today! Your blog is fun. I love the sewing find from the local goodwill. One of my favorite places to hand out. I too like that basket, but love the hankies! I have a bit of a collection of them, most from my grandmother and great aunt. I plan a quilt one day!
    I found you thru 2 bags full, thru...and thru...well it all started over at The Nickel Nook, which I followed from my tiny blog. Well anyway, so glad to stumble here! Joining!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Maureen,
    Thank you for your sweet visit.
    Your find is fantastic, and I even love the basket inside ,with the wonderful aqua coloured fabric. I think you was a very lucky lady finding this !
    xo,Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great treasure chest filled with fantastic vintage sewing notions! I bet if you put the sewing basket up on Ebay, someone will snatch it up for the retro-ness of it! Thanks for sharing at TTF. have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great find!! I would have snapped that up in a heart beat! I have bought so many unusual boxes and baskets over the years just to get old sewing item inside!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow what a find, well done you. I love the Canada buttons, so cute

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maureen,
    What a great find filled with so many goodies!! Definitely worth the money and you can always recover the basket!!

    Thanks for stopping by and for your kind words.....

    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to agree about the outside of the basket but I love the color of the satin on the inside and can't help but wonder if the outside could be redone?? The hankies are perfect just the way they are!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know you were by. I appreciate and read with delight each and every comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...